Re: [SLUG] music without guilt

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 15:13:48 EDT

> I've bought a few songs from the iTunes store, but never any full albums.
> For me it's an economic win because I can get tracks I want without paying
> for an album full of dross. For Apple it's profit. I don't see anything
> wrong with that.
>
> Also, I don't believe the iTunes stores charges sales tax (that can be
> almost an additional dollar or two for the price of a physical CD).

iTunes is a Ripoff.
You have to use an apple compression format! <--- Can you say proprietary!
You have to pay an monthly fee to use ther service.
A Dollar for a single tune!
You pay for Your internet access.
Time Limit on how long the song last.

So In one month if you downloaded 10 songs plus your monthly fee You have
spent more than what a Cd would run!
Average Cd 10 to 12 songs no difference in cost!

Next if you want a certain bit rate for better sound you have no control
what the iTunes offers you.

What would be fair simple have a p2p subscription company that charges
according to bit rate and say like $5.00 a month
plus only 35 cents a song 128k .MP3 or ogg, 40 cents 192k, and 45 cents 256k
or higher sampling. No time limits on the song.
Now the flip because the p2p are ripping you should get 5 cents per song
that is uploaded from your machine credited to your account.
paying for your time and use of equipment. So if you uploaded 100 songs to
others you get your $5.00 membership paid for the month.
The extra can go towards your downloads. Make the songs only listed that is
at least 2 years old or more.

Now the break down. if you pay .45 cents a song then the service gets 10
cents per download and the RIAA gets 10cents and the artist gets 20
cents.Uploaders gets 5 cents.

This way there will be more OUT OF PRINT stuff again to download.

Think for a second how does the RIAA loose money on something that is no
longer in print? If it is not for sale anymore then they don't loose this
way they win and don't have to repress the songs.

Now then if you get so much credit then make it available to use towards
getting merchandise that the Artist has plus you pay shipping and handling.
Hey now there is a deal! Make it work for all !