Re: [SLUG] anygui/pyhton experience?

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 15:46:24 EDT

> Has anyone used this combination?
Yes, I've done a little development, and installed/used some gui python apps.

> What is your opinion on its
> a) usability
Good usability - looks and feels like any other gui app.

> b) ease of programming
Python is known for being easy on the programmer for small to medium apps
and rapid development. It has a fairly comprehensive set of builtin
libraries for things like gui, networking, math, ...

> c) performance of application
Expect performance slightly better than Java/Swing.

> d) portability
Terrible. Python applications often break between different minor
versions of Python itself on the same platform (e.g. an app written
with/for Python 2.1 won't work with 2.2 and vice versa). This problem
gets worse if you make heavy use of the builtin libraries, and still worse
between different distros, OSs, and system configurations. I know, Python
is supposed to be portable blah blah blah because it's semi-interpreted,
but it just doesn't happen. I'd estimate that 4 in 5 python apps I've
tried refuse to work on my configuration without installing a different
version of python for each, and/or hacking the source, and/or tweaking the
different python installs not to conflict. If you're coding for a
homogenous environment, this may not be a problem.

Levi