Re: [SLUG] update to yesterday's "Say Goodbye To Your CD-Rs In Two Years?" article on Slashdot

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 15:11:32 EDT

thor_consulting@yahoo.com wrote:

>i just submitted this update to yesterday's "Say Goodbye To Your CD-Rs In
>Two Years?" article on Slashdot (Robin - maybe you could help with that):

No. Days-later updates to Slashdot stories are a waste of time. Even RMS
has finally realized this.

>i was devastated to learn that i had lost my precious code and data until i
>decided to let the DVD drive check them and it worked - no errors and all
>files recovered!

So far this is one test on one DVD drive. Let's get some more evidence,
i.e. more people to see if old, "unreadable" CDRs will work okay for
them in *their* DVD drives, too, and if this is the case then there' a
standalone story, and we tend to run those on NewsForge or Linux.com,
then (often but not always) link to them on Slashdot.

Since (I believe) DVD players are much more sensitive than CD players,
this might be a very useful piece of information to share with others.

- Robin