Re: [SLUG] which laptop

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:45:52 EDT

>I have an extreme distaste for Sony laptops; I have a PCG-F430 that began
>falling apart a couple of years after I bought it.

Experiences of VA/OSDN on corporate laptop purchasing, based on 5+ years
and hundreds of unite:

1) No more Sony. Not durable.

2) IBM Thinkpad is the best-built line, and generally Linux-compatible.
You may be better off with a used, high-end Thinkpad than with a new,
low-end laptop from another vendor.

3) If, for whatever reason, you prefer a touchpad to a pointing stick,
Toshiba is the most durable, with Dell a close second.

4) Compaq/HP is "iffy" depending on model and production run. I
personally own a cheapie Compaq that started growing stress cracks in
its case, near the hinges, within a year. But by the time you spend
enough with HP/Q to get a quality unit, you might as well buy a
Thinkpad, Toshiba or Dell.

Our "corporate standard" computer is now the Thinkpad.

- Robin