Re: [SLUG] Have I been hacked !!!

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 13:10:56 EDT

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:

> Doesn't changing the DHCP configuration to another configuration cause the
> host to not accept the new client configuration resulting in the client not
> being able to use the internet?

Not really. Most UNIX DHCP clients can be told which options/parameters
to accept from the server, and which should be left as they are currently.

For example, when my firewall gets a DHCP lease from RR, it configures the
external interface according to the IP address, netmask, etc. contained in
the lease. But the nameserver information is ignored, because I have my
own /etc/resolv.conf set up the way I want and the DHCP client is
configured to throw away that part of the lease information.