[SLUG] Kensington Expert Mouse

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 12:12:46 EST

What I have here is a Kensington Expert Mouse (it's actually a trackball),
optical, four buttons plus a scroll ring:

http://akamai.bizrate.com/computer/large/8/10620868.jpg

XFree86 4.1 (soon to upgrade to 4.3), right now it's hooked up via USB (I
could not get this problem solved using PS/2, so I figured I'd try USB,
but it acts the same). I'd prefer using PS/2, as the PS/2 port is
dedicated to being a mouse port and I already have a PS/2 extension cord
whereas I'd have to buy a USB one.

The relevant section of XF86Config looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "trackball"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "Buttons" "6"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 5"
EndSection

Since X recognizes all 6 buttons (well, two of them are ring-CW and
ring-CCW) but only scrolls in response to buttons 4 and 5, I run xmodmap
in ~/.xsession, so button 6 is one of the physical buttons:

+-------+
|2 6|
| 4<->5 |
| O |
| |
|1 3|
+-------+

The xmodmap command is:

xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 2 3 6 4 5'

I suspect that X or my WM (FVWM2) has a leftover bit of configuration from
my previous trackball, which had three buttons plus a wheel (actually two
parallel wheels):

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/P922536.jpg

How can I configure this as a PS/2 device (that part's easy), with four
working buttons plus a working scroll ring?

--
   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.