[SLUG] backup drive

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 20:07:37 EST

Hi. I got a spare drive (hdc now), that is the same model (IBM/Hitachi
IC35L120AVV207-0) as my main drive. Both are 120 decimal GB (~= 115
binary GB). Right now I've set up a nightly 5am block copy copy (using
dd) hda -> hdc. I realize this is not the most efficient method of copy,
but as it's a personal system and unused at that time of the morning, the
time taken isn't a problem. When I press the backup drive into service, it
will appear as if the power had just been restored after an unclean
shutdown. "sync" runs every minute to reduce the amount of data in
unflushed buffers.

The reason I wanted to do a block copy was that that was the only way I
could think of to maintain partitions (if I repartition the main drive,
the backup drive gets repartitioned automatically), and copy boot sectors
and the like.

Can anybody think of a better way to do what I'm trying to do?