Re: [SLUG] nOOb getting started questions

From: Red Wolfman (redrhood@hotpop.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 14:45:18 EST

Thanks Frank I have statrted with windows 200 on all of my hard drive,
 then used partition magic to resize W2k to 30 MEG and Left 29 MB
unassigned for future linux install. I have then installed Mandrake 9.2
used custom (I think) and selected my blank area of my hard drive and
then used the auto setting. It creates a boot section, a swap section, and
another ext2 section. Install proceeds successfully. However when I
try to use Partition Magic 7.0 again to check on partitions or to free
up more space, I get the error messages ..do I want PM to fix? Here's
where my perplextion lies. Do I tell PM to fix or not? do I take the hint
that maybe I should look for another distro that doesn't modify my partions.

I have also tried Mandrake 10.0 beta 2 and it makes the hard drive useless.
My w2k will work but PM now says that my whole Hard Drive is "BAD".
Lesson learned: I'm to much a nOOb to play with betas. After all this I
found out
that Mandrake is coming out of bankruptcy or the french word for it. had I
known
I may have put more time into learning another distro.

Knoppix looks like a good possibility if I can figure out how to install it
on the hard drive.
from there I can get to Debian or Gentoo.But first I have to get Knoppix on.