Re: [SLUG] "1777" protection in Pine?

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuary.homelinux.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 22:05:43 EST

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> (screw bottom posters)
>
> Why not send an E-gram to the U of W and ask someone on the
> development team.
> What version of pine are you using? I use Ver. 4.58 which is OK with
> 0666).

I pulled up the documentation for imapd and then tried another way to set
the permissions for /var/spool/mail, and now the error no longer occurs.
Apparently imapd needs those permissions to be able to lock the mail spool
it's writing to; otherwise it tries a 'back door' approach using
'etc/mlock' which consumes much more processor load. I did a 'cd' to
/var/spool and then did a 'chmod 1777 mail' to get the permissions
properly set, and the error message has not reappeared since.

SWB