Re: [SLUG] Invasive botageq

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 19:52:28 EDT

> I have a server farm dishing out about 100 domains' webpages using
> LAMP. Have you noticed since Google announce gmail, the other search
> engine bots (in particular msnbot and yahoo slurp), have become
> inordinately intrusive? They obey robots.txt, but they now hit sites as
> if they were visiting as opposed to just gathering relevant info e.g.
> using ?=phpsession yada yada etc.

I find msnbot to be worst; thousands of hits per day on each website,
day after day after day. You don't need to do that just for indexing.
  Furthermore, we're between a rock and a hard place--if you tell
msnbot to take a hike (via robots.txt), then you may hurt yourself wrt
SE placement on msn.

John