Re: [SLUG] TCWO

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 10:06:28 EDT

>There fore I had to recommend to our management that the difficulty and time
>consumption of configuring Linux is in cost value of the time and effort to
>expensive for this group of NON techies to attempt to use Linux.
>
>As far as Linux desktop for browser and word processing that was doable by out
>office.
>
>But! Networking and data base are way above THIS office's technical level.

It seems that you are falling for Microsofts biggest lie: if you put a
simple interface on top of a complex process, anyone can
install/administer it. If your office does not have anyone who can
set-up/administer MySQL or Postgres (I don't know ProgressSQL), then
they do not have anyone who can properly set-up/administer *any* RDBMS.
Even if a non-techie can install M$ SQLServer, it will not be well
configured, and the issues that surround installing/configuring/running
a production database will not be understood. This is a recipe for
disaster.

BTW, on debian (as root):
   apt-get install postgresql
   {answer a few questions that it walks you through (accept all of the
defaults if you like)}
   su -c "psql template1" postgres

That's it, you're in. Type sql commands such as:
   CREATE DATABASE foo;
   \c foo
   CREATE TABLE favorite_books (id serial, title text, author text);
   INSERT INTO favorite_books (title,author) VALUES ('Stranger in a
Strange Land','Robert A. Heinlein');
   SELECT * FROM favorite_books;

--ronan