RE: [SLUG] I told them . . .

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 22:22:10 EDT

This part?

"At my last job, we were running RedHat 7.0 on our web server and got hacked
several times."
"When Linux admins start saying "Linux cracking? Not on my box" they usually
just don't know it yet. "
"Then tracing that out, we discovered some 40-60 other machines had been
hacked the same way too. (We we #46)We informed each of the machines' owners
(each running Linux) and let them know what was up."

<grin>
Yes, this is very unscientific of me. And Silly. But selecting a single type
of exploit and jumping up and down about virus, but ignoring worms and other
exploits certainly doesn't help anything. But the idea that open source is
automatically more secure is a bit silly to me. I support open source
because it provides the OPPORTUNITY of peer review. And that may allow the
software to be more secure. But Unix has been around a long time, subject
to peer review and yet you still see exploits. The Mac OS was one of the
most secure OS around, despite it being a closed source. Once they went to
BSD-based OS, they've started to have more exploits.

Comparing Linux to Windows might make you feel good, but if you compare it
to Mac OS <9, it has more than it's share of holes. It does little good to
bash MS. Better to ask how we can help improve Linux.

OTOH, I have been known to poke fun at the market leader, so I'm as guilty
as anyone...

Linux will win because it is the natural extension of the open system
movement. I wonder what the reaction of the Linux elite will be when
Microsoft introduces MS-Linux. I'd love to see it.

Ken Elliott