Re: [SLUG] Installing Verizon DSL on Linux

From: Nathan Anderson (nathan_anderson@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 20:47:12 EDT

Steve Szmidt wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm going to test DSL for VoIP and I wanted to see what issues you guys have
>run into with Verizon DSL. Any problem installing it on Linux only? (F.ex.
>not having windows available for the initial setup, and so on.)
>
>- --
>Steve

Hi Steve,

I just set up an account with Verizon for DSL service about a month
ago... I did just take the route I thought would be the easiest for me
in setting up the account initially though as I used a temporary
installation of Win98 on a test machine and just ran the ridiculously
idiotic installation CD from there.

However, I did read online afterward about a way to set the account up
without using Windows but it involved calling Verizon and getting some
daily password for the server that sets up new accounts, then I guess
you'd be entering things like your username/password directly to the
Verizon server instead of the interface the set-up CD provides you with.
This is the link, hopefully it's helpful to you:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1257

I do run a Coyote Linux router behind the DSL modem and everything works
fine (dhcp etc.), nor does Mozilla have any trouble accessing the mail
server from my Linux powered workstation. The only issue I have with the
service at all is accessing the news server. I can not log on to it with
Linux or Windows no matter what type of news reading software I try,
what day of the week it is, the orientation of the moon or how many
chickens I sacrifice! I've tried their online chat based tech support
and while the person I was conversing with was personable enough, I
don't believe he had any skills beyond typing the occasional canned
response to me. He did say they didn't offer much support for news
groups though... ?? Whatever I guess. Apparently that's not a service
they concern themselves with much. I will try to get someone on the
phone about it later, but I really haven't had the time to deal with it
lately.

I've run a couple online speed tests with it also and get between 1.1 to
1.3 megabits per second down, and when the Verizon guy was here to make
sure I had service by my activation date he was getting 1.5 Mbits down
and 486 Kbits up on his equipment. Either way it's been fast enough for
me to switch away from Road Runner where I was averaging 2.2Mbits down.
Double the download speed wasn't worth the extra 50%/month RR cost me
over Verizon.

Hope this is the type of information you were looking for, good luck,
Nate