Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 11:22:18 EDT

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Saturday 09 October 2004 08:45 am, Bill Shaw wrote:
> > Frank,
> >
> > Short of what's already been suggested(diagnostic disk, slave,
> > bootable linux) I don't know of any other way of testing the drive.
> >
> > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:14:03 -0400, SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > Lets be clear about the sequence of events here.
> > >
> > > 1. First, I entered a web site which may or [may not] have caused a HD
> > > issue. I suspect yes because of the response of the drive and because I
> > > have had this happen in the past. How I do not have a clue; that is way
> > > above my level.
>
> If you are running windows you can easily have gotten viral instructions
> installed and executed. Now from Windows you cannot read or write a Linux
> partition,

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Can't do it _natively_ though.

> but you can write anywhere using low level instructions.

I had a drive trash several partitions by doing that. It did it a couple
times before I figured out it was the drive.

> That drive is fatally wounded if it made a scratching sound.

Agreed. Software can't fix this hardware error.

> #!/bin/sh
> i=0
> Disk=""
> while [ "$Disk" != "100%" ] ;do
> i(($i+1)
> clear
> echo $i
> echo "$i" >> testfile
> Disk=`df|grep "hda1 "|cut -d" " -f22`
> done
> df -h

> It loops through the instructions until the disk is reportedly full. While
> doing so it increases a counter $i. Disk is a variable that contains the
> value of drive usage. When it says "100%" it will stop the looping. Then
> report your disk usage.

As you say, df may round e.g. 99.5% -> 100%. If you can compare
block numbers, you can get all the disk.

--
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No