[SLUG] Wireless Broadband

From: Caleb (calebsr2k@acm.org)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 20:38:19 EDT

Hey guys and gals,

    I have been using the Sprint Aircard for the last two years. The
model is CF2031 made by Growell. The specs are 230 Kbps on the XP side.
I know that I get a fast connection on the Linux side. It works pretty
well. Much faster than dial-up. The card allows you to make voice calls
provided that you have a plan. The only glitch is that the voice calls
only work on the other OS.

I just recently got a hold of a Verizon Broadband Wireless card. Wow!
this thing really rocks. It works on both XP and Linux*.
Below is a link to how to get it to work with linux. (not really hard)
According to the card it should allow you access to a WIFI network using
802.11g. The speed is rated at 300 to 500 Kbps with burst up to 2Mbps.

http://www.ka9q.net/5220.html

The price per month is rather high 79.99. If you need this kind of
speed and service. Remember buyer beware. The nice thing is that you
can try the card for 15 days and decide if you want to keep it or not.

Overall not a bad deal, but I will stick with the Yiso Card even though
I cannot stand Sprint. The price is better than Verizon.

P.S. In case any one would like to know if you buy this card it now
retails for 199.00 with a 150.00 rebate(mail in) which brings the price
of the card to 49.00.

That is my two cents worth. Phew.....