Re: [SLUG] custom kernel for SuSE 9.1

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 13:56:29 EST

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:26, Eben King wrote:
snip
> I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my SuSE 9.1 system, which is an IBM
> Thinkpad T40 (1.4 GHz P4-M, 768 MB RAM, 25 (30?) GB HD). The HD has 4
> primary partitions (no extended partitions). The reason I'm doing this is
> to eliminate the drivers and options it uses for which I don't have the
> hardware support (i.e., almost all of them). For instance, I don't have
> RAID (nor is it feasible on this machine).
>
> I've done this many times in the past, and it's (usually) no big deal.
> This time, however, it's being a bear.
>
> I'm starting with the SuSE stock .config (gzip -d < /proc/config.gz >
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.7/.config), and (after I get that to work) modifying it
> to fit my needs. But I get many errors as soon as the root fs (reiserfs)
> is mounted during the boot sequence.
/snip

Eben, I've never tried the gzip -d < /proc/config.gz thing but when I
was messing with the SuSE 9.1 2.6 kernel highmem (greater than 4GB)
stuff, I had to copy the stock config from /boot. The packaged kernel
sources on my box didn't have a .config file and you have to cp
/boot/config-2.6.5-7.104-default /usr/src/linux/.config. I don't know
if you did this or not. It's just a thought. Seeing as how this too
was in august, it may not even be relevant anymore.

Mike Branda Jr.