[SLUG] Re: More FUD from Microsoft -- unlicensed IP, IBM/Microsoft "bullies," NDS (DAP/RSA) != AD (LDAP/Kerb)

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 12:56:10 EST

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 12:26, Eric Jahn wrote:
> Yes it does. It's called enforcement. Enforcement doesn't happen.

The reason why enforcement doesn't happen is because everything is left
to "interpretation." E.g., the '95 decree said "no per-CPU pricing," so
Microsoft merely switched to a "per-model pricing" whereby most OEMs
sell Windows on all models (i.e., the same effect).

Regulation doesn't work. Only consumers can get companies to change.
The problem is that 90% of consumers assume they have no control. They
assume they have to buy new apps with a new OS for a new computer with
new peripherials every 2-3 years. Hence why not just Microsoft, but AOL
and others now have major investements in Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...

Microsoft is trying to do this on the network/server level too, To push
entire, network-wide updates every 2-3 years. And far too many IT
professionals seem willing to do it, even when study after study proves
its more costly. Not just in the software, but more importantly, in the
planning, migration and other manpower areas.

My main issue with the DOJ v. Microsoft case is the result -- even back
when the Clinton administration was pushing it. It was _never_ about
consumers, but _competitors_. The consumers were _never_ represented
once. It was OEMs (and limited at that, only ones who would slit their
own throats ;-), competitors, etc... All of the findings and suggestion
actions prior to the Bush administration only benefited competitors (and
commercial ones at that).

The consumers have spoken. That is to work together in a common goal as
a community. This is a community that chooses to work together, the
ultimate "common good" in an abusive, consequence-free capitalistic
industry. It also thrives on competitors being involved, who work with
that community. As long as it stays a community of choice, it will
succeed. Unfortunately, people start talking about "government
mandate," and then I cringe, because it's the reason for most monopolies
as well (the government _creates_ monopolies).

Because 100 years there was another "common good" that came about to
combat an abusive, capitalistic industry. The labor union. They
worked, until the government started mandating them. Because when you
take the "choice" to work with a "common good" and mandate it, that's
move from talking about "individual rights" to "community rights." If
Linux fails in the future, it will because it was turned into
"communism" through mandate.

Right now, we have "facism" (government mandated commerce) in the
required use of Hostageware formats from Windows solutions.

> That's funny. I often agree with Nader, but I disagree with this statement.

Why? Most government departments ignorantly assume they have no ability
to tell Microsoft what to do. In working at even much smaller, but
household name Fortune 100 companies, I can tell you _can_.

You will give as a version of XP without Activation.
You will give as a version of XP without Activation.
You will give as a version of XP without Activation.

Sometimes it takes 3 times, but you'll get it.

> One doesn't reward a bully by paying them.

That's why you, as a _consumer_, should not.

The government can't make up for an ignorant consumer with regulation
any more than it can for an ignorant voter. ;->

In fact, it only makes things worse ("government knows better for me?").

> They'll listen more attentively to government when they are a small,
> hungry company again.

Microsoft is a financial investment company that outsources. They are
not a software company. They have investments outside of their "core
two" products (Windows and Office) that subsidize their infiltration
into other markets. They will survive unless you just take their money
way. And I'm not into such "redistribution of wealth."

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux