Re: [SLUG] Samba as a PDC

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 07:49:19 EST

> > dns server set up and the Linux and Mac boxes are all good
> > but Windows wants the Primary Controller set up.

It "wants" it? What do you mean by this? Does this mean that
you are running a "pro" version of windows that is capable of
joining a domain (unlike "home" versions), or that some feature
or functionality of being part of a domain is required?

> > I have read a few howto's

Assuming Samba 3.0.x, the definitive are http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ and http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

I would start out with the Samba-Guide to learn what a Domain
provides and determine if that is truly what you want. It can
get complicated.

> > Can it be used for auth only and not Desktop profiles
> > and such??

Roaming profiles are not required. Depending on how you use
your Desktop and "My Documents" type folders, it could increase
your logon/logoff time by quite a bit as all the data is moved
back and forth... it's kind of a cool feature though if you want
to log off one machine and log into another as the same user and
have your old settings/documents/etc.

> After selecting the domain box instead of workgroup and adding
> the local domain, it spewed an error complaining that it couldn't
> resolve _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mylocaldomain.lan. Added the entry
> in dns to the proper samba server, and it complained that there
> was no dc on that machine. any ideas??

Would need to see your smb.conf... what version of Windows are
your clients?

~ Daniel

Juno Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.juno.com/give