[SLUG] Ubuntu Linux pretty cool

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 08:28:04 EST

I've been checking out Ubuntu Linux and it's cool stuff.

The Ubuntu guys will send you 10 CDs just for asking. No charge. It comes
on two CDs. One is a self-booting CD, like Knoppix. It reads NTFS files
just fine, and seems useful as a data recovery tool. If you put the CD in a
system running Windows, it offers to install several open-source apps, like
open office. Very clever.

The second CD is for installing the OS on your hard drive. It uses a
text-based installer and was a breeze to install. Based on Debian, it uses
Gnome 2.8. I installed it on my Pentium II 400. It feels pretty darn
snappy - much so than the SuSE 9.1 it replaced.

Basically, it appears to be Debian with newer stuff. It's well done and
would be a really good choice for converting Windows users.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Ken Elliott