Re: [SLUG] Hub, Switch, & Router

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:48:59 EST

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 01:23, SOTL wrote:

> I was assuming that both sides of your router were in the same network
> something like
> _________________
> A --| |
> B --| |
> C --| Device |
> D --| |
> E --|__________________|
>
> Where if the device was a router with A as a LAN input and B, C, D, E would be
> outputs connected to various devices say a PC, PC, printer, and plotter and
> if the device was programmable then one could direct exactly which packets
> one wanted to which device. Your choice.

What you show above is a network switch. They are "smart" in that they
know the MAC address of the device you are sending information to and as
you put it, "direct the packets" automatically with no needed
"programming". If you wanted to send the same packets to multiple ports
like you asked in an earlier e-mail, you need what's called a "Managed
Switch" with port trunking capabilities. These are more "programmable"
in the fact that you can mess with the connection tables that are
usually set by the switch automatically. You are essentially crippling
a router into a switch if both connections are on the same network. Not
to mention the fact that it may hang up a lot or you may not even be
able to configure both IP sides to the same network. Routers have
IP's....switches don't.

A Router is more like below:

B -| switch | --192.168.1.1| router |192.168.22.1-- | switch |-E
C -|lanA/subnet| | | |lanB/subnet|-F

A,B,C are all on a 192.168.1.0 network and want to send packets to D,E,F
on a 192.168.22.0 network. They need to be "routed".

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.