Re: [SLUG] Re: Slug Newbie here...

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 06:21:54 EST

On 2nd of Dec at 2338 Bryan posted (he did ??) and before
I reply to one point involving me, I'll address this, where he said

> Then we go on with the discussion of Ms. Jolie's figure. Sigh. Maybe
> I'm getting old. Maybe I've moved too far into lead/management roles,
> as well as spent 4.5 months as a middle school teacher (if you want
> to be confronted like you were a child molester by merely saying "hi"
> to the kid of the wrong type of parent, become a teacher ;-), etc...,
> but I've started to realize a _lot_ of women take issue with over the
> past few years.

There is a story, literally from last night, about a school bus teacher
who was fired because of having discussed stem-cell research
with a student on the bus, and the student's parent complained.
The administrator of the school, in this new-think canc^H^H policy that
afflicts school districts everywhere, naturally hung the bus driver out
to dry. Of course. Can't Upset A Parent Can We?

Then there is the Seditious School Teacher, last week, fired for
handing out copies of early documents of the U.S that (gasp)
mentioned "God". Can't have THAT in school! Fire a Teacher!!

There is No Way in hell I would ever become a public school teacher.
The Political "correctness" afflicting schools today defies description.

Since this is OT, I'll stop here (PS My M.S. had Computers in Education
as my concentration. I should have picked the Waste Management
option. I didn't because it needed too much daytime involvement,
while I was working)

Bryan continues

> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:51, Robert Foxworth wrote:
> > Not me. My feeling is that if YOU are offended thn it is YOUR
problem.
> > Despite that, I agree with David.
>
> I don't think I _ever_ said *I* was "offended."
>
> And I didn't even really state that _women_ would be "offended."
> I just offered the simple advise of "broaden your horizons."
>
> I shouldn't have even bothered.
> God, now someone's acting like I call it a "list violation."
>
> WTF?
>

> --
> Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org

Bryan is sophisticated enough to realize that a well-known
but little-understood failing of the English language is the
failure to differentiate between 2nd and 3rd person pronouns.

My use of "YOUR" was the collective impersonal 3rd which
differentiates "me" from "anyone else on the planet" and
in this context "anyone" who is offended makes it "their"
problem (but I don't let it worry ME).

The fact that Bryan assigns himself personal responsibility
for this, and then doesn't even address the main point, which
is "I agree with David (that we would like to see this stop)"
apparently explains a lot about why this thread went on so long.

But since he said he was through posting, then my comment
here will be the end of it.

Back to Linux. Roblimo's B&N visit last night was great. Thanks.

- Bob sent 2004-12-03 at
0621 est