RE: [SLUG] Radeon vs XFree86

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 13:55:20 EST

>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>Subject: [SLUG] Radeon vs XFree86
>Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:00:17 -0500 (EST)
>
>My friend (call him T) has a Radeon 9000 and he's trying to get Gnome from
>Ubuntu up (XFree86 4.3). The last message in /var/log/XFree86.0.log is
>that
>it successfully loaded DRI, then it freezes the machine with a black
>screen.
>{Caps,Scroll,Num}lock don't illuminate their respective lights, and
>ctrl-alt-{backspace,F[1-6]} don't work. gdm loads, but Gnome won't.
>Actually he said:
>
>,--
>| after [messing] with bios settings, [gdm] will load [...] and allow me to
>| put in my username and password. at that point it should load Gnome,
>etc,
>| but it paints a small bit of thoroughly corrupted graphics across the top
>| of the display and locks up solid.
>'--
>
>Does anybody know what might be wrong, or have a working XFree86Config he
>could try? Should I get more details?

Is upgrading to Ubuntu Hoary an option for T? Hoary uses xorg instead of
XFree86 and perhaps that would help overcome his problems with the Radeon
card. I realize that Hoary hasn't been officially released yet but I've
been using it heavily for a few weeks without problems.

I wish I could offer other options but I haven't worked with Radeon cards
much so that is all that I would be able to suggest.

-Jonathon