Re: [SLUG] Leeching a website

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 12:40:41 EDT

Can't he/you just get permission to ftp everything? This is BY FAR the
easiest way to handle this. Scraping the site will be too difficult,
especially if they have javascript (I'm assuming you meant javascript
and not java... they're not the same). You won't be able to just copy
it to your server and work. Try to contact the manufacturer's
webmaster and ask for a copy of the entire site on CD. Shouldn't be
more than a 5 minute task for the webmaster.

As far as getting the links to work... if they didn't make their website
in a template driven way (like using Dreamweaver templates or
libraries), or worse, if they didn't use relative links!, then as far as
I can see, you have two options... 1. start changing every link manually
   2. hire a programmer to spider the site, changing links on the fly,
programatically. I've been using a Java program called HtmlParser
(http://htmlparser.sourceforge.net/) for a few years now, and it has
that capability. However, you need to know how to program Java... it's
not an end user application.

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I'm afraid I don't! Sorry.