RE: [SLUG] Wireless Nics that will run native

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 02:22:07 EDT

>From: Delusion <delusions@tampabay.rr.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Wireless Nics that will run native
>Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:47:21 -0400
>
>I was wondering if you all could point me in the direction of some Wireless
>nic that will run native in linux. I currently have a wusb54g from linksys
>and I am sick of fooling around with NDIS wrapper so I am looking for a pci
>based nice that will run under linux with out the use of NDIS or Driver
>loader.

Locating a card that uses a supported chipset is the key. The problem is
that manufacturers will often change the chipset without changing the
product's model number. The result is that it is hard to determine what
chipset a given card uses until you get it home. Sometimes a hardware
revision number could help if it's printed on the box and you know ahead of
time which one to look for.

A few chipsets that I believe are compatible include:
Prism2/2.5/3
PrismGT
Atheros ar521x*
Hermes-I/Hermes-II

*a native Linux driver project is underway for Atheros based cards (MADWiFi
project). However, a proprietary binary layer must be used between the
driver and the card to disable some functionality that could break FCC
regulations. So the driver itself is under a free license, but the binary
layer is not open source.

-Jonathon