Re: [SLUG] Virus now using Sony's "rootkit" DRM

From: Bob Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 08:18:32 EST

> Well, Mr. Akio Morita - the founder of Sony - wrote that he wanted to
name
> the company with a variation of Sonus (the latin word for sound) and
picked
> sonny. Later, he found that the word had an english meaning, so he
dropped
> one of the 'n's.
>
> From http://www.nndb.com/people/384/000094102/
>
> "With Masaru Ibuka he co-founded Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo K.K. in 1946,
which
> changed name to Sony (derived from the Latin word for "sound") in
1958. In
> order to enhance international sales, at this time the company took
the
> unprecedented move to spell its name in Katakana, the alphabet used in
Japan
> to transliterate foreign words"
>

> Ken Elliott

Obscure trivia dept:

When you look atr a Sony product and carefully
examine the four letters that make up the name,
you can see that the first two "SO" are not exactly
the same height as the "NY" The difference is
only a few percent. Without having an example
handy (doing this from memory) I think the "SO"
are the taller letters.

I don't know why. Perhaps it is related to the
katakana explanation as each syllable could be
in theory rendered by a character. Maybe it was
a way to trap unwary counterfeiters, with less
attention to detail than they should have.

I never heard of the Standard Oil story, and would
be suspicious of it as well.

- Bob 0818 est