Re: [SLUG] ReactOS

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 10:46:37 EST

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 10:15, Richard Morgan wrote:

> So I wish these guys would give up making a better Windows and make a
> better Linux by providing me the ability to flawlessly run Windows programs
> on my Linux box.

But they ARE contributing to Wine. They work closely with Wine. Which is not
an emulator by the way.

An emulator is a translation layer which translates code. Itis also slower
than native code. Wine is a library which works nativly with windows code. In
other words the windows instructions in windows programs are understood by
Wine and will execute like the win32 programming libraries do.

Now Wine has been in development for a very long time. It's not come that far
in about 10 years. Writing a better windows is easier as the structure of
windows is very different in Linux. Which makes it very hard to execute all
realiably under Linux. By following the same structure, they can save
themselves a lot of hassle.

I for one am happy that someone is doing this work, it's very likey going to
get much faster results. As it is I'm not willing to do what they are, so
what can I really say besides "Good luck!"?

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.