Re: [SLUG] aKademy 2006 in Tampa

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 11:40:55 EST

>From: Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] aKademy 2006 in Tampa
>Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:24:04 -0500
>
>5) Transportation - I think we have that covered. If this event is in the
>city
>of Tampa, the public transportation will suffice.
>
>6) Food - plenty of places to eat around Tampa...

I think you overestimate our fine city. :)

Public transit is dismal compared to other large citites and most event
attendees will not be in a position to rent a car. They will need easy ways
to get to and from the airport, lodging, eateries, and the event itself.

As for food, cruising up and down Dale Mabry isn't a viable option and
downtown Tampa is a ghosttown after 5 PM.

The Westshore business district might work if the conference were located
there as well. There are hotels, restaurants, shopping and the airport all
within 1-2 miles of each other. Still, it's a far departure from most big
cities.

I wonder if Orlando might be in a better position to host something like
this. I'm not as familiar with the location of Orlando's airport but that
city is probably more prepared for a large influx of tourists.

-Jonathon