Re: [SLUG] Real OSes

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 18:35:11 EST

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:42, Bill Shaw wrote:
> If you want to rip Windows at least make valid points....
>
> There's more and I'm sure others can point them out. But there's also
> reasons to run Windows. And reasons you may want to run OSX.

<window flamebait>

The technical reasons for running windows? The business sense of running
windows?

Nah, it does not compute for me. I can solve it under OSS O/S's and not have
to make the EULA agreements which are borderline illegal. Sometimes that
might cost more in terms of money up front, but not in the long run.

Not to say there are not s/w that only runs on windows, but there are no
reasons at all to agree and use it for me. Well, when I was into certain 3D
type games there was not enough choices. But that's all windows is for me - a
game platform. Not something used for serious computing. Too hard to keep
stable, too unforgiving and with too many incompatible programs. AND NO EASY
WAY OF GETTING IT FIXED EITHER. TOTAL EFFECT.

To get the windows stamp of compatibility, a program does not have to be able
to coexist with any other programs, only run by itself. Which is not a
realistic setup on a desktop.

bill gates is acting like a criminal and get's enough latitude to get away
with it, most of the time. His EULA is a legal nightmare in terms of
voilations of privacy. His products are not made to work, but to generate
more money. And I'm not against him making money, but as a monopoly one has
certain responsibilities, of which he could care less. Actually he's like a
big child.

So why would I want to support him and his flagrant disrespect for all?

I'm staying free, as in freedom of choice. Freedom of not being locked down to
that vendor. Freedom as in not being forced into unviable licenses that
promote one thing but actually does something different. Which I think can be
tough to defend in a court, (except for the fact that you should never sign
something you have not read and understood).

So dump on windows and bill gates, the industry is already more than fed up
with his b.s. which is why they are so happy to switch. Is it entirely
without problems - no. But you have a future which you can have a better
control of and get better results with in the long run.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.