Re: [SLUG] OT: SuSE 10.0 Santa & Penguins

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 16:01:26 EST

On Monday 12 December 2005 11:32 am, jeff wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 09:33 am, SOTL wrote:
> >> On Sunday 11 December 2005 01:41 pm, jeff wrote:

> > But!
> >
> > And here is the real reason I had no idea if the equipment was
> > operational or not. The computer was an unknown to me. So by using CD
> > that are known to me to work I loose one potential problem area.
> >
> > If you have ever tried to install a distribution of Linux you are
> > unfamiliar with, which in the past has given you problems, with NO
> > specifications on the equipment, and with equipment that you do not have
> > the slightest idea of will work or not, and whose current operating
> > system [Win 98] refuses to go on line so you that you have NO faith in
> > the functionality of the equipment and had major issue then at that point
> > you will really understand why.
>
> Been there, done that. ;) I would suggest keeping a live cd (Knoppix or
> similar) on hand for testing hardware that is not known to be working. It
> is a lot faster and easier than installing a full distro only to find that
> that the hardware doesn't work or isn't supported.
>
> Jeff

Yes but that was the whole point was to see if I could do a standard
installation. Did not matter which one as I figured I could clean the
situation up later by installing a different HD while preserving what I have
on the current HD.

As far as I am concerned the next step is to get MySQL operational with Open
Office 2.0. Have the procedure. Just have not had time to implement it. But I
do have working hardware, installed Linux system and internet access with
that box. Also I have Open Office and Java Run Time Environment installed.

Other items not functioning include SSH, Kfish, and Kbear. The big one of
course is MySQL.

Would love to take two of the boxes to the Tampa meeting for help. Definitely
would appreciate some showing or demonstrating how to make the desired Open
Office MySQL connections. The issue is it is a lot of heavy equipment to lug
around.

If someone would like to demonstrate such a connection I definitely will bring
the equipment.

SOTL