Re: [SLUG] whence /bin/mail ?

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 14:12:37 EST

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 13:36 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Tyler Vann-Campbell wrote:
>
> > On 2/15/06, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Where do I get /bin/mail (or really any utility that does the same
> >> thing)? On my previous system, I had it with sendmail, but now with
> >> postfix (and Ubuntu), I don't. ISTR I had to jump through a hoop or two
> >> to get it, but I don't recall what those hoops were. They're going in
> >> the log this time.
> >>
> > Not that this is an answer to your question, but IIRC you can apt-get
> > sendmail as an alternative to postfix on Ubuntu. At least I was able to on
> > my laptop.
>
> Yeah, I tried a couple MTAs before I settled on postfix -- I think they were
> sendmail and qmail, because that's the order I thought of them in. But they
> didn't work out-of-the-box with fetchmail, and I'm not enough of a mail guru
> to _know_ how to make them work. I probably could have figured it out (I
> mean, sendmail worked with fetchmail on my previous system) if postfix
> hadn't worked.
>
> > One of the postfix guru might be able to help you find the specific MTA
> > location for postfix.
>
> Thanks. Do you know where I could find one?

Eben,

Is this the same thing you're referring to?

www:/ # which mail
/usr/bin/mail
www:/ # ls -la /usr/bin/mail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2005-11-15 20:01 /usr/bin/mail -> nail
www:/ # rpm -q --whatprovides nail
mailx-11.4-4
www:/ # rpm -qi mailx
Name : mailx Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version : 11.4 Vendor: SUSE LINUX
Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release : 4 Build Date: Fri 09 Sep 2005
02:46:02 PM EDT
Install date: Tue 15 Nov 2005 08:01:55 PM EST Build Host:
mouse.suse.de
Group : Productivity/Networking/Email/Utilities Source RPM:
mailx-11.4-4.src.rpm
Size : 314442 License: Other
License(s), see package
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Fri 09 Sep 2005 05:27:03 PM EDT, Key ID
a84edae89c800aca
Packager : http://www.suse.de/feedback
Description :
Nail is a mail user agent derived from Berkeley Mail 8.1. It is
intended to provide the functionality of the POSIX.2 mailx command with
additional support for MIME messages, POP3, and SMTP. In recent system
environments, nail is Unicode/UTF-8 capable. Further, it contains some
minor enhancements like the ability to set a "From:" address.

Authors:
--------
    Gunnar Ritter <Gunnar.Ritter@pluto.uni-freiburg.de>