[SLUG] Snort rule

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 21:51:10 EST

Hello Sluggers.

I'm working on a homework assignment using snort. I'm having trouble getting one
rule to work properly. Here is what the instructor requested for this rule:

Create an alert for any incoming packet whose contents contain "tcpdump" (case
sensitive).

By incoming packet, he means anything with a source that is not on the local subnet,
with a destination that is on the local subnet. He has given us a packet capture
file with some traffic he captured to run our rules against. The local network is
172.17.76.0/24. Looking at the file in ethereal, I can see that there are some
incoming packets with "tcpdump" in the payload.

Here is my rule:

alert ip !172.17.76.0/24 any -> 172.17.76.0/24 any (content:"tcpdump";)

However, this rule does not create any alerts. If I change the source to "any any"
it alerts on some packets with a source and destination on the local subnet, but
still not the ones with a source outside the local subnet... I can attach the pcap
file if anyone wants to see it, but it's kind of large (just over 300K). Can anyone
give me hint on where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Doug