Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 19:08:14 EDT

On Monday 10 April 2006 17:41, Robert Eanes wrote:
> --- Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> > Richard Morgan wrote:

> > there any way to tell

> The only thing I know of that will do this kind of
> thing is a DNS query. With the proper tool you should
> be able to "copy" query the authoritative zone for the
> address. I'm not sure how polite this would be...
> it's sort of like setting up DNS replication. So it
> might require a user/pass also. Never tried it on the
> Internet, but does work on an Intranet when you have
> all the "keys". On winders I use Superscan for this,
> not sure what Linux alternative there is.
>
> Rob

No it cannot hide the info, it must be available to work at all.
If you queried the router it should tell you which routes it has as well.

arp -vieth0 (insert a 'n' before 'i' to see IP)
or
cat /proc/net/arp

lists all known routes. Problem is I doubt your ISP will let you execute arp,
or reach below /proc/net/.

Of course it will only list accessed websites. So that's limited use. Which
then brings up the reason you want to know. Probably to see who you are
fighting with?

Well you can usually do (provided you have shell access, which I only use
ISP's that give me shell access, and did not sandbox you) is to browse
outside your home dir. Then look in each of the dir's and you might be able
to see who's there.

If you don't want to create a long list of entries use something like mc,
again if it's available.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.