RE: [SLUG] DVI cables

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 21:32:18 EDT

>> Anyhow, is there any difference _in picture quality_ between one DVI
cable and another?

There can be. But since it is digital, it has to be further off than an
analog cable to make a difference. In CAD world, we used to use $100
cables, and you could really see the difference. I'll describe my testing
procedure, developed in the days when CRTs ruled the world. I'm not an
expert on LCDs, so I have not developed a good testing program.

Here's my suggestion for testing. Use a graphics program to create a pure
black background. Draw a vertical line down the middle, and draw a
horizontal line across the middle. Make the line EXACTLY 1 pixel wide. Set
the graphics program to display the image at 100 percent. That should cause
that 1 pixel wide line to light a single pixel per row.

On an analog (VGA) connection, you cause the video signal to rise from pure
black (RGB=0,0,0) to full intensity (RGB=255,255,255) for one pixel, then
back to pure black. You actually get a ramp-up and ramp-down that may cause
the following pixel to be a value other than black. Video cards with a poor
quality RAMDAC, poor cable or poor amps in the monitor will show up in this
test. If the vertical line is not as white as the horizontal line, that
means the signal can't get to pure white in time (ramp up is too slow).

The LCD monitors I tested held a pixel on solid, as long as the signal
didn't change. It was fine with a static image. But when I moved the
window containing my image, it had a much tougher time dealing with it.

I've tried this on several LCD monitors a few years ago and they failed
badly. Response was too slow. But I know they are much better today, and
I'd like to repeat the test. I only use CRTs (except for my laptop) so I'm
not in a position to try. The faster you move the image, the harder you
stress the display components.

I'd expect that you'll see no difference between two DVI cables, but in the
name of science, I think you should try it and report back to the group.

Ken Elliott