Re: [SLUG] SUSE 10.1 Release

From: S0TL (s0tl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 08:12:22 EDT

On Friday 12 May 2006 12:27 am, Richard Smote wrote:
> Has anyone been able to download the 10.1 full release CD's?
>
> I have tried several times thru the day and have never gotten much
> past 107mb without the dl stalling.
>
> Richard Smoot

Sorry forgot one other item about downloading OpenSuSE.

My observations are that if download speed on our T1 line fall below dial-up
speed that when I burn the CDs I have trash.

If I connect to the OpenSuSE download site there are several mirrors I appear
to be shifted to. One of these which appears to be in Germany always gives me
low speeds and especially low speeds in prime download times. If I continue
that down load it normally takes 6 to 10 hours to complete and is trash when
it finishes. Best thing to do if you get on that site is to cancel and try
again. Eventually you will be switched to the high speed access and it only
takes 2 hours per disk. I have been able to download 2 disk at the same time
with only a 20 to 30 % increase in total time for the download over what I
get when I only do 1 disk at a time. Doing more than 2 disk at time does
work fine but only after a few days of having the posting up for downloading.
I suspect that this few days will be longer this time with next Saturday
night looking good for my own personal downloads. Before then I think it will
be more effort than it is worth considering that I mostlikely will have to
repeat the downloads if I do them before next Saturday night at least once
and I may have to repeat the download more than once. OpenSuSE is not very
congenital with the SlashDot effect.

Frank