Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 21:43:49 EDT

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 14:21 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> OK, all you networking gurus, try this.
>
> I've got this setup (irrelevant machines not shown):
>
> ( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
> |
> D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
> | : |
> | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
> | :
> | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
> |
> Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
> :
> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
>
> So, what I would like is for "thinkpad-w" to access services on "pc" (ssh is
> most important, as it can do file transfer). I'd most likely have to do
> something to the Netgear router.

Why have two routers? You only need one for this set up, right? You have
to tell your D-Link router that you don't want everything going out to
the internet any more. You want some stuff to stay within your network.
Having the two routers, I believe you now have two networks...so you
need to be able to have your two networks talk to each other...really
I'd detach the netgear router all together, and connect the thinkpad-w
to the D-Link router, and everyone should be happy again...

Russell