Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 13:38:19 EDT

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:42, Chris Mathey wrote:
> That's not exactly true. I have never seen a recent router with "hub"
> ports. a hub is not full duplex, hubs are just repeaters, every host
> connected see's every unicast and multicast. A switch know's every mac
> address that is plugged into itself and only sends unicast frames to the
> intended MAC address. Broadcast frames hit everything of course.

Well this is not correct. A hub differs from a switch in that it will route
traffic to all ports, much like a broadcast. While a switch will route it
only to the correct port, where it's internal notes tracks what port each MAC
(NIC) address uses.

A hub is not a repeater, it's old technology from before switches were
invented. Once switches showed up they solved the problems of collisions that
the original hubs had.

An Ethernet network was designed to have collisions of packets, and could in
real life sustain about 30% of the traffic being collisions. Passing 30% it
degraded rapidly.

The switch solved the problem neatly and has but all replaced the use of hubs.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.