Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 07:59:30 EDT

<Pine.LNX.4.64.0607240039140.12548@pc.verizon.net>, Eben King
<eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, michael hast wrote:
>
>> Possum wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The other question (may not be relevant) I have is the question of
legality
>>> of playing DVD's... Is it possible to (legally) play them on SLED?

it is not illegal to play DVD's - the codec is "illegal" - or rather
includes not only non-gpl code, but also questionable code that is
subject to copyright or patent issues. As such it's not included with
the distro, but obtainable after the distro is installed from numerous
sources including Novell.

>>> Honestly, I really like the SLED 10 screenshots (they're
pretty)...but if
>>> it doesn't offer the same operational value, I think I'll remain
with my
>>> current distro.
>>>
>> Okay, you've hit on something there that I have seen alluded to, but
never
>> heard anything outright on. Is it illegal to play DVD's on
>> free- as- in- beer Linux?
>
> I think so. That's why some distros don't haveDVD- playing code in
them as
> shipped; you have to get it yourself (at least I think they don't; I
know
> some do that with MP3s).
>
>> If so, by what rational? To me, it seems like making it illegal to
play
>> records if you are using the wrong kind of amplifier. Please
enlighten.

> Linux developers never paid the DVD consortium's bribe^Wlicensing
fee, so
> all decryption is reverse- engineered. I think that makes it violate
the
> DMCA *spit*.

Exactly.