[SLUG] perl [pig] duplicate removal with a twist

From: baris nema (baris_nema@cigflorida.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 16:08:02 EDT

I'm writing a perl program that takes input from one file, processes it
(line by line), and then
puts in into another text file. I'm trying to figure out how I can
search the second text file to see
if a particular part that line (at the beginning of the line) has
already been put into the file, and if
it has, don't put it in.

What I'm having trouble on is how to search the output file in perl for
that text before writing to it.
-any ideas?