Re: [SLUG] cron not running

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 13:18:06 EST

> root@pc:~# grep -i cron /var/log/{messages,mail.log}
> root@pc:~#
>
> Nope.
>
> > Do you have MAILTO= set correctly in your crontab?
>
> No. Oddly, it's worked in the past. Even if not, mail should go to the
> crontab's owner, yes?
>
> I did find that the crontab didn't have a NL at the end (cron used some
> editor that looked like mc's internal one). export EDITOR=vim and it's
> fixed. I'll see tomorrow whether that was it.

That's strange that you have nothing for cron in messages. Most distros
have something... either a pam message or a cron message that states the
command being run and which user.

The mail log would probably not have cron strings, but a message indicating
an item was attempted to be sent around the time that the cron job would
finish.

No MAILTO= is perfectly fine unless you had something like MAILTO="". When
not present it goes to the tab's owner, yes.

About this no cron strings in your messages file... do you have logrotation
or other processes kicked off by cron on your system?

~ Daniel