Re: [SLUG] Torrent Question

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 09:07:57 EST

>From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Torrent Question
>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:28:07 -0500
>
>Eben King wrote:
>>On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Paul M Foster wrote:
>>

>>>Went to a torrent site to download something.
>>
>>FWIW, decent sites I've found are http://mininova.org/ and
>>http://isohunt.com/ .
>>

>Finally got what I was looking for on isohunt (thanks Google and Eben).
>It's downloading in the background now. But I have another question. The
>bittorrent client shows the download amount and rate. But it *also* shows
>an upload rate and amount. Umm, what exactly am I *uploading*?
>
>Paul

You are uploading the same file that you are downloading. Basically,
BitTorrent shares the pieces that you have recieved with others that are
downloading the same file. The more people that download a file, the faster
everybody gets it. There is a nice article about the protocol on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Jonathon