Re: [SLUG] Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 23:55:36 EST

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:12, Ken Elliott wrote:
> >> There's also the possibility that *they're* infringing on *our* code
> >> (as
>
> in including GPL code in their products. Agreements like Novell/MS also
> cover *Microsoft*. Wouldn't it be interesting if using our code in their
> products was the whole point of this exercise?
>
> I believe that BSD code exists in the network stack of NT/W2K/XP. They
> rewrote it for Vista, and reintroduced stack bugs not seen since W98.

That is interesting. They never seem to get anyone who knows about proper
memory management. In the old days of VMS there were some particular
problems, they had this work around, as they could not do it right.

Then with NT (I think it was) they ended up with the very same problems.
Turned out they hired the guys behind the memory design of VMS.

Now they have someone else's stack again. If they improved it's bound to be
worse than the original, hehe. Hopefully the kernel is no longer Bill's
custom version of BASIC. (Yeah, they did dump it a little while ago...)

> Seeing their chief competitor (Apple) use the BSD code base to beat on
> them, and now move to Intel, has got to concern them. Apple could offer a
> VM for running Windows, along with Wine, and offer the biggest threat
> they've seen. It could be that they want to side with Linux as an
> anti-Apple (as well as anti-Sun/anti-IBM/anti-Oracle) move. Since none of
> us have seen the agreement, this is all just wild speculation by all of us.
> Still, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
>
> This is actually a sign that Linux is a big-time player, guys...
>
> I'd also like to second the idea that this is a pro-Linux list, not an
> anti-MS list. You don't have to hate MS to love Linux.

Oh, where's fun in that? (Just kidding!!) It's just so darn hard now to see
the obvious... Regardless of any other O/S.

I've been unhappy with it pretty much since day one. Never saw it fit for real
work. The MS policies being a big part of the problem. It's like a kid with
really bad parents. If the kid is bad too, you know it's hard going to end up
with a decent kid. With Linux I know by experience that people are
continuously improving on it for real. Enterprise solutions is being injected
and adopted and so on.

When you work on delivering solutions for money, you want fixed to stay fixed.
If not you have to fix it. Except with MS solutions you can only come up with
unusual solutions for unusual problems. I don't care how pretty it looks but
how stable it runs. So I need faith in that the future will get better.

Linux has lots of problems too, but real people try to fix them as soon as
they can. With MS it does not matter how much good intentions they actually
may have. In the end their solutions plain aren't up to where they have to
be.

Thinking of how all these people in this big company with absolutely no proper
reason for not delivering a proper product, then seeing how they lie outright
about their products to cover they behind, well you get the idea.

It's not about having a stone age witch hunt. In the end the integrity of MS
management is not something I'd put money on. You do as you please of course,
and if you are happy with what you pay for then good for you. It's good some
people are happy with what they got for their money. I know of no real
solutions oriented people that were ever happy with windoze.

This is probably what scares new people away. They don't have that experience
and thinks we're all loco, bad mouthed, MS bashers. When we are just fed up
with what to us looks like a massive rip-off and sabotage of the computer
industry. (Yeah you can make money on their problems, as many does, it's just
not what I call moving forward.)

I wonder how many people have signed up with Linux lists because they too were
fed up, and just saw recognition in and felt hope as a result of some of the
bashing? Yeah, it's not professional to say some of these things being said,
but then this is not a list for computer professionals selling things either.

In all this I'm not saying it's a good and welcome thing to be foul mouthed
and getting down on anything is sight, but that some is to be expected due to
the very nature of MS.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.