Re: [SLUG] connection sharing without a router

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 16:15:01 EDT

> Get get a Linksys WRT54G. Load DD-WRT on it (there are others images
> that are good as well) http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

If you go this route investigate the version number. Linksys dumbed down the
WRT54G with version 5; it runs WindRiver instead of Linux and has much less
memory. I think the 'GS is OK, and I hear that the 'GL is too, the "L"
possibly standing for Linux.

Electricity: I had a PC running my gateway 'twixt ethernet and my RS-485
network. With the monitor off, my measurement/calculation pegged it at about
$5 per month for electricity. I switched to a WRT54G, mainly for that
reason.

Don