Re: [SLUG] Reiser4

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 19:18:42 EDT

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 18:52, Eben King wrote:

> > However, I'm currently formatting a 1TB Drive and with ext3, I only get
> > 871GB usable. For giggles I formatted Reiserfs and I get 932GB usable.
> > That's a 61GB difference!!!
>
> That's 6%. How important is data recovery? I'll wager that it's more than
> 6% of $DRIVE_PRICE.

> I'm sure Hans Reiser is a smart guy, but his filesystem doesn't inspire
> confidence in me.

I so agree with that sentiment. My view is like if I need that extra space
then I'll get a bigger or more drives. 60G sounds like a lot until you look
at the fact you almost have a TB of space.

My primary concern is usually reliability, and recoverability goes hand in
hand with that. When a filesystem has issues with recovering (or not loosing)
data then I don't dare using it. The down time becomes too expensive. Good
ol' ext3 works just fine in that light.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.