Re: [SLUG] Comp_Usa Going Out of Bussiness Sale not a Sale...

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 11:37:05 EST

When we lived in NC there was a neighbor that did "going out of business"
sales for men's clothing stores, typically the small one person owner store.
After looking over the merchandise he would, with his own money (since the
store owner was out of credit and facing bankrupcy), bring in stuff to fill
out the line, then advertise. The initial sales prices were no bargain.
They would progressively discount, and even when they reached to big levels,
like 70 percent off, they would still be above breakeven (he was big into
ties--huge markups involved (kind of like cables at CompUSA)).

BTW, his cut was around 50% so a couple of jobs per year and he could live
grand (and the store owner who had let the biz go down the tubes was able to
pay off the creditors, came me out will a little cash, and was happy (which
spread the word and got this guy more business).

Ever since, I'm leary of the "going out of biz" sales.

Donald Haselwood