Re: [SLUG] Looking for a way (that works) to back up entire system

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 22:50:33 EST

On Monday 03 March 2008 21:20, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Monday 03 March 2008, Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> >> What is a good way to backup the entire linux system?
> >>
> >> I was wondering how Slug'ers are doing system backups (and of course the
> >> next step is recovery, but that comes later).
> >>
> >> Don
> >
> > I never back up the whole thing as it's too easy to just reinstall from
> > scratch.
>
> Don't you have data you'd like to keep?

I view it as several "levels of backup". At top end are personal data that
would not be possible to reconstruct. That gets multiple rolling backups of
various kinds. At the low end is the OS which can be easily reloaded. The
part where saving the whole system is handy is all that stuff inbetween where
it *can* be reconstructed/reinstalled but it takes a lot of time and effort
(partly because I've forgotten some of the details and have to go through the
learning process again).

Don