Re: [SLUG] CD-playing pseudo-stereo

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 21:49:02 EDT

I wouldn't call DLNA exactly a file sharing protocol. It is specially
designed to browse and then stream multimedia collections. I haven't
used it, but IIRC, the "backend" (server) part of MythTV is already a
DLNA server, that should work with those media boxes. But, yes, you
would be tying you music availability to the uppedness of your Linux box.

If you don't want to do that, there is another storage compromise. You
Via box could wirelessly (or wiredly) connect to a NAS device in another
room, that contains a traditional (large/cheap hard drive). I've seen
such NAS boxes for ~$60 on ThingFling.com (but that is a periodic deal
site, you'll have to look elsewhere to buy on demand). But with that
cheap NAS device, you won't need a full computer to be up.

--ronan