Re: [SLUG] The REAL reason we use Linux

From: Bill D (skkonn@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2008 - 19:31:51 EDT

That is the reason why i use linux, because it is fun. But his
explanation breaks down after that for me. one of his faux reasons
"because it's customizable" is the same thing as his real reason #1,
"Linux gives you complete control". I do like linux because it gives
you complete control, but that complete control is how linux becomes
customizable. this is also the case for reason 3. in reason 3 he says
"This lets us tweak and play with our systems. And we absolutely
loo-o-o-ve tweaking our system." so how is tweaking your system
different from customizing your system? With that said, i do like
tweaking pretty much anything.

  Reason 2 doesn't hold any grounding for me either. I dont use linux
because it is the fade or the cool thing to do. I dont want to prevent
other people from using it (minus my relatives that cant understand
how to use a dvd player, but thats because i dont want them calling me
24/7 for support.)

  His second paragraph does make some sense, but not in the way he is
using it. After a period of everyone using linux, i can see how it
would get a little bit boring for a group of people. Which is why
there a many other operating systems out there to play with after
that. And what is out there to prevent us from playing around with
others operating systems anyways? I dont remember pledging a
monogamous relationship with linux. I'm going to mess around with what
ever my computer fancy is at the moment.

P.S. i'm sorry for rambling. It just kinda started typing and ... yeah.