Re: [SLUG] EEEPC

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2008 - 00:02:05 EDT

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:47:48AM +0200, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Best Buy and Circuit City make far too much money from broken M$
> machines that come back for service, a la virus/spyware elimination
> nonsense, etc. When you look at the grand balance sheet of keeping up
> an M$ machine, it just makes financial sense for these retail monsters
> to keep churning the same manure they've always pimped out.

You really think so? I would think the last thing a place Circuit City
would want to see is a Windows computer returned to disinfect it. I
can't imagine they make much money off that, compared to everything else
they sell. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

> Besides, most people are a hybrid genetic strain of mushrooms and
> sheep. Choice means nothing to them, even if it kills.

That may be true, but I suspect most people are only vaguely aware of
Linux, but very aware of Windows. Their friends run Windows, and so they
can always get help from their friends if they get in trouble. It takes
a certain kind of person to look up from his/her crappy Windows
installation and actually search for something different/better. I
suspect Microsoft is creating a new generation of Mac users because of
Vista.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster