Re: [SLUG] distro longevity

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 03:57:01 EST

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> I went to add some packages (abcde, for one) to my laptop, which runs
>> Ubuntu 6.something (how do I check?)
>
> Hi Eben!
>
> I just had that issue myself a second ago. I found that I had the install CDR
> on top of the machine and had written it on the CD with a marker, Mepis 7.
>
> Maybe you did the same thing?

Naah, it's a laptop. I have to schlep it around, so things that can come
off do. Tomorrow I'll poke around in /etc, maybe there's something useful
in there.

I just get pissed at forced obsolescence. I guess now I squeeze some more
life out of it by installing whatever I need from source. Is there at least
a way of .deb-izing some program's source so it can keep track of the files
and maybe remove them later? It probably wouldn't have all the dependencies
unless I can find a handy-dandy database of them, but something's better
than nothing.

--
"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th