Re: [SLUG] No Post screen

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 23:12:29 EDT

On Monday 20 July 2009 23:59:49 Eben King wrote:

.........<big snip>...............

> > Does a monitor sleep at "power up/on" until the OS wakes it up?
>
> Yeah, sometimes. But not any particular action by the OS, just a
> correctly-formatted video signal. Usually; I don't know why it doesn't
> like the POST. Maybe it has a thing againt text modes. On my RH monitor,
> the power LED (in the power button) flashes until it admits it has signal.
> What the BIOS sends may not be sufficient to wake it up. And either it's
> also not enough to put it back to sleep when you reboot, or it doesn't
> happen for long enough.
>
> Mine, I can't recall having a problem with it, but then I very rarely do a
> cold boot.
>
> > When I don't get the Post the first time I get alternating messages that
> > flash on the screen. "digital" "analog" until I shut the OS down and
> > restart the box.
>
> It doesn't see a signal on either input. In the same situation a Dell
> 2001FP would rotate among D-sub, DVI-D, S-video, and Composite.
>
> But enough with forensics. How about solutions?
>
> Do you have any other cards (even unused/unneeded ones) that have a
> full-screen setup program you can get into blindly? Maybe mail the guys at
> Samsung and see if there's a way to turn off sleep mode semi-permanently or
> a way to deactivate it with creative button-presses? Can you do all your
> BIOS work after a short jaunt in Linux? (If you reboot the machine before
> it remounts root r/w you're in no danger of hosing something.)

Unfortunately I do not have any old, or new cards lying around, and I have
never heard of a way to blindly do a setup without booting an OS first.
Probably just me though.

I guess I'll have to try Samsung and see what they say.

To reiterate though. In my very first post I stated that I had bought a new
24" widescreen monitor and what prompted this thread was that I could not get
it to Post no matted how many times I turned it on and off. Sent it off to be
fixed, checked out OK, sent back to me. Same problem. That is why I brought
up the problem with the old monitor. I lived with that for years. Just knew I
had to push the "button" twice. Annoying but bearable. Thought that these two
conditions must be related somehow. Keep thinking for me guys.

Now I gotta go get a lesson from Paul.

Bob S